When it comes to remodeling your Naples-area home, you’re probably anxious to “get at it.” That’s understandable, but there are some things you should do before you jump into the project.
Being well-prepared is one of the keys to enjoying a successful remodeling experience. Here are 10 things you should consider doing before you ever begin a remodeling project on your Naples-area home.
- Prioritize needs. What are the most important things to remodel? Are there things that can be combined so that you “Kill two birds with one stone”? Get started by reading this helpful post about prioritizing projects for your Naples home.
- Create a list of objectives. Make sure you have clear goals about what you want your remodeling project to accomplish. That will help you when sitting down with a remodeler to come up with a plan. A good design/build remodeler will take your goals and then determine the best plan for accomplishing those goals.
- Work out a budget. Have you set a realistic budget for what you want to accomplish? Have you done research to make sure you can really get done what you want for the budget you’ve set?
- Secure financing. How will you pay for your remodeling? If you’re going to take out a loan, you’ll want to have that taken care of ahead of time so you don’t end up delaying the start of your project.
- Prepare yourself and your home. If you’re not going to be able to use a room (especially your kitchen), you’ll want to have a plan for doing daily activities such as cooking and cleaning. (Here’s a helpful post that guides you through some of the essentials.)
- Collect ideas. Even before you meet with a design/build contractor, you may want to gather some ideas from online sources such as houzz.com.
- Research remodelers. You’ll want to take your time to check out who is going to remodel your home. Here are some helpful guidelines for that process.
- Look at samples. It’s one thing to look at samples of materials online, but you’ll want to build in some time to actually set eyes (and hands) on actual samples of the materials you’ll be using.
- Consider artwork/furnishings. Think about those finishing touches that will really make your new room/home complete, whether it’s photos, prints, frames or other accents to highlight your new surroundings.
- Plan a party. Once you’re done with the remodeling, you’ll want to show off the results to friends and family. That’s half the fun!