You’ve probably met some people who don’t like it when you ask too many questions. But when it comes to remodeling your Naples-area home, we think asking questions is a good thing—particularly when you’re in the process of choosing a remodeler for your Naples-area home.
A remodeler relies on a number of tools to successfully complete a project. Specific questions are some of your best tools when it comes to choosing the remodeler that’s right for you project. The answers you get are a good indicator of what your level of comfort will be like during the remodeling process—and how satisfied you’ll be with the end result.
With that in mind, here are 11 great questions to ask any remodeler you’re considering doing business with. You may want to supplement these questions with additional inquiries of your own, but these will at least get you started on the right track.
- How long have you been in business? You really want to look for a well-established company that has the necessary experience to do the job—and will be around to stand behind their work.
- Can you provide me with references? You’ll want to see current references on projects that are similar to what you want to have done. And don’t just look at those references: Call some of them to get more details! Here’s a helpful post about how to take to past clients about their remodeling experience.
- Can you provide proof of liability insurance? You don’t want to put your family at financial risk. We recommend a $1,000,000 policy.
- Can you provide a certificate of Workers’ Compensation? If a worker is injured on the job, you don’t want to be responsible, so this is critical.
- Do you have a written contract? It may seem obvious, but you want to have everything in writing. It protects you and the remodeler. Make sure you have this ahead of time so that you can review it before work begins.
- Will the pricing provided be for a fixed price? Make sure everything is covered and that the price is full turn key fixed price. Surprises at the end are not pleasant.
- Do you have a written warranty? Review the warranty to make sure you understand what is covered (and what’s not).
- Who will run my project and how long have they worked for you? You’ll want to glean specific information about this person. Also ask if the company does drug tests and background checks.
- Who will be my point of contact during the project? It’s really important that you have a single, consistent point of contact throughout the project in case you have questions or issues.
- How do you handle the color selection process? You’ll want to know if your remodeler will provide an interior designer or if you’re going to be on your own.
- How will the cleanup be handled during and at the end of the project? This is actually a major point of contention on many remodeling jobs. Make sure there is a clear plan in place. It will make the process much more enjoyable.
These questions are included in our free Remodeler’s Roadmap eBook. Click here to download the eBook for free to get even more helpful information that you’ll want to know before you begin the remodeling process.