We all want to put our best foot forward when entertaining over the holidays. Part of doing that means having your Naples home look its best when guests arrive. While there’s not enough time to complete a major remodeling project between now and the end of the year, here are some small projects to prepare your home for the holidays.
Sometimes small changes can have a big impact on how your home looks and feels. Let’s look at some projects you can tackle on your own in a fairly short period of time.
- Painting a Room: Maybe you have a guest room that hasn’t been painted in a few years. It doesn’t look terrible, but it looks a little tired and not so fresh. A new coat of paint can add new life to a tired or boring room. It’s not that costly and you can probably finish it over a weekend.
• Do the Doors: Do you have doors that don’t close properly, or are damaged. It’s not too difficult to replace an interior door. Maybe the door itself is fine, but the hardware looks dated. You can replace handles and knobs easily and inexpensively.
• Window Coverings: Sometimes simply changing the window coverings in a room can completely change the way a room looks. Consider some new blinds or curtains. It’s a very manageable project that won’t take tons of time.
• Fix Faulty Faucets: Leaky, dripping faucets are irritating and can really detract from the beauty of your guest bathroom. Sometimes fixtures just need to be tightened. Old fixtures can really date a bathroom, however. That’s probably a project you can take on yourself with the way modern fixtures are designed. There (probably) shouldn’t be much actual “plumbing” involved.
• Let There Be (New) Light: Consider replacing existing incandescent bulbs with new LED bulbs. These days LED bulbs come in a variety of shades and hues. They give off great light while using a fraction of the electricity of incandescent bulbs. And most of the newer bulbs can be dimmed as well so you can use them most places.
• Winter Cleaning: Somehow we’ve reserved major house cleaning for the springtime. It’s actually better if you do a whole house cleaning twice a year. It’s healthier for you and your guests, and it’s easier to keep your house looking great that way. Even if your guests don’t notice that you’ve done a deep cleaning—you’ll know and it will make you feel better about having guests. Plus, clearing out closets and seldom-used rooms gives the feeling of more space.
• Clean the Carpets: Making sure your carpets are clean is a small task that can make a big impression. Again, your guests may not notice that you’ve cleaned your carpets, but they will notice if your carpets have stains or dirt that vacuuming can’t take care of.
Do It Yourself (or Don’t)
Most (if not all) of these projects are things you can handle on your own. However, if you find yourself getting in over your head on a maintenance project, we can offer help. We offer handyman services to handle projects such as:
- Light Fixtures
- Crown Molding
- and Much More!